View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com

Gmail has persistently ignored my request to change it even though it belongs to a minor.

Saturday, 22 May 2010

'Don’t Take A Fence' by Paul Curtis.

Don’t Take A Fence

My uncle John the fence died

When I heard I felt quite sorry

It was poetic justice though

As he fell off the back of a lorry
Copyright © Paul Curtis. All Rights Reserved

This lovely little poem needs some explaining for non-English readers. In Wales 'John the fence' would be a man who erected fences; in England and elsewhere it would be a man who received stolen goods.
And in British English (I'm not sure about elsewhere - please let me know), something that 'fell off the back of lorry' means it was stolen so I can sell it to you cheaply!

9 comments:

Alicia said...

What a charming little poem -- and I didn't need your explanation to understand it. Her in the U.S., we say something "fell off the back of a truck" -- no difference.

bazza said...

Ah! Thanks for the feedback Alicia. I thought that might be the case.
I have become acutely aware when writing posts that meanings can vary!

Bob said...

You must move in different circles to me as I didn't know that John the Fence meant what it does.

I don't approve of people accepting stolen goods....but it seems that poetic justice is even harsher than the legal system!

bazza said...

Bob; One tries not to move in circles - you never get anywhere.
Blimey, Im sounding like Sir Tom!
Naturally I don't approve of 'receiving' stolen goods (one should pinch one's own!)

Mr. Stupid said...

This was a fun poem. I liked it as it has different meanings. The explanation helped. Though, I did know fall of the truck meant stolen. Great post. Toodles!:)

klahanie said...

Hi bazza,
I can confirm that in Canada, they also use the expression, 'fell of the back of a truck'.
The act of stealing and passing it on at a somewhat reduced price, has also been known as '5 finger discount'.
Kind regards, Gary

bazza said...

Mr Stupid: It's not easy to write a very short but effective poem like this one. Glad you liked it, thanks for the feedback.

Gary: I like 'five finger discount'! We also have 'knocked off' (I know, I know), 'lifted' and 'liberated'.

Kelly said...

I kinda knew about the "fence" part. I didn't know what a lorry was, though I've heard that word before from some British movies and so on. I looked it up in my dictionary and it says... Chiefly British: A motor truck.

bazza said...

Hi Kelly. If the poet had written 'fell off the back of a motor truck' he would have had to find a whole new rhyming scheme!
I am endlessly fascinated by the difference in English all over the world. The first time I went to the States it took a few days to be understood - they thought I was French!