View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Tuesday 5 March 2019

Vin Mariani

VIN MARIANI was a tonic wine and patent medicine which was made from Bordeaux wine and coca leaves created in 1863 by Angelo Mariani, a French chemist from Corsica. The ethanol in the wine acted as a solvent which extracted the cocaine from the coca leaves thus altering the drink’s effects. It was exported with 7.2mg of cocaine per fluid ounce to compete with the higher cocaine content of similar drinks in the United States. Advertisements for Vin Mariani claimed that it would restore health, strength, energy and vitality.

Vin Mariani was a massive hit. Mariani’s wine and coca tonic took his home city of Paris by storm, and then, the rest of Europe and the U.S. Seizing on the opportunity, Mariani opened offices in London, New York and Montreal. To support demand for his product in the U.S. he opened a second laboratory in New York. Vin Mariani had many competitors and imitators, but a shrewd celebrity-driven marketing campaign    earned him millions of dollars worth of sales. While Mariani’s ads claimed that thousands of doctors endorsed the product, it was the celebrity endorsers who really pushed the elixir. The ads he ran in newspapers and magazines featured countless politicians, actors, writers and religious leaders, all extolling the many virtues of Vin Mariani. Devotees of the drink included Alexander Dumas, Emile Zola, Presidents William McKinley and Ulysses S. Grant, and countless monarchs including Queen Victoria of England. In addition, actress Sarah Bernhardt and Pope Leo XIII, who gave him a Gold Medal, were among the many who actually appeared in advertisements. I think, considering the content’s, it’s no surprise that the product was so popular!

Eventually these kind of drinks were banned which led to the invention of drinks like Coca Cola which originally contained some cocaine.

I'm listening to The Rolling Stones version of Jimmy Reed's Honest I Do from their first album. It's much-recorded song but I think their version stands up well to the others. Listen HERE.

14 comments:

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, When you read what went into the food, drink and medicine of that age, it is a wonder that any of us at all are here today. Especially heart-rending are the opiated "baby killers" like Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup. And even food that wasn't actually poisoned or drugged was heavily adulterated in other ways.
--Jim

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - fascinating ... I had never heard of it - but can see the attraction it obviously gained - then increasing sales with the popular celebrity vote. I love the poster in Wiki ... very bright and cheerful - and appropriate to the age. Loved reading about it - cheers Hilary

Sherry Ellis said...

Funny that the Pope endorsed the wine. Must've been good!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

What strange elixirs and cures we used to embrace! One of my "favorites" is the tobacco smoke enema.

Hels said...

I would have tried this medicine, just on the basis of Alexander Dumas, Emile Zola and Sarah Bernhardt's endorsements alone :)

But it reminds me of doctors recommending smoking because the cigarettes cleared the lungs!!

David said...

Hi bazza,

Amazing what used to be regarded as healthy. It kind of reminded me of my dad telling me that when he was young and in the army he had to go into hospital for something, and the first thing they gave him was a bottle of Guinness and a cigarette!

Best Wishes,

David

bazza said...

Jim: And for a long time it was all perfectly legal! I found plenty of other product available, even some aimed at children.

bazza said...

Hilary: At first it's amusing and it gradually becomes jaw-dropping as one realise exactly what's being offered...

bazza said...

Sherry: The Pope probably didn't realise that he was getting high!

bazza said...

Susan. I phoned the Tobacco Smoke Enema helpline for advice once. They're very rude aren't they?

bazza said...

Hels: That's right! I'm sure Marlborough were endorsed by doctors at one time. The whole celebrity endorsement nonsense is still as strong as ever. It must work!

bazza said...

David: And the Royal Navy still had a daily rum issue well into last century (I have just checked - until 1970!) My father has said that he didn't smoke until he was in the army.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Google must have eaten my comment I posted yesterday. Hopefully, I will do better today.

I remember when LSD was being promoted by celebrities back in the 60’s. It was going to be the next best thing.


bazza said...

Arleen: But were those celebrities being featured in conventional advertising? Probably not.
But with people like Timothy Leary promoting drugs I suppose they didn't need ads!