View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Friday 22 March 2019

Painting of the Month (86) March 2019: L S Lowry

Laurence Stephen Lowry, always known professionally as L S Lowry, was born in Stretford, Lancashire, England in 1887. He was very much an eccentric Englishman and his works were late in being loved outside of the UK but he was always popular in England. His pictures were very accessible and for a long time he was viewed as ‘naive’ or a ‘Sunday painter’ which annoyed him intensely, but there is more depth to his personality and his work than that which first meets the eye. His paintings are instantly recognisable usually for the inclusion of so-called ‘matchstick’ men. Although he also painted some quite eerie industrial landscapes that are notable for having no people in them at all.
In some ways one could make an argument that Lowry was a bad artist but although he lacks some techniques he more than made up for it through keen observation, attention to detail and an obvious love of, and sympathy for, his subjects.
You will have to make up your own minds through looking at the pictures below!



L S Lowry (1887 - 1976), Going To The Match 1953
A very typical Lowry work and one of his best loved.

 The Old House, Salford 1948
I love the simple, clean lines of this picture. It's a very simple painting but quite absorbing, showing Lowry's draughtsmanship.


Industrial Landscape 1955
Not actually devoid of people but they aren't prominent!


Portrait of a Man and his Two Sons 1950
This unusual painting was sold at Sotherby's for £1.7m in 2015

I'm listening to one of Don McLean's many beautiful but barely known early songs, Bronco Bill's Lament about the reality of Hollywood cowboy film stars. Listen HERE

13 comments:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm not qualified to judge his talent, but I can say that I like his paintings. A lot. Except for maybe the industrial-looking one with all of the smokestacks, but that isn't because of the way it's painted. I simply don't care for the subject matter. My favorites are of the house and the last one of the man and his sons. It has a bit of a haunting effect.

NanaDiana said...

I actually like the paintings. The last one, for some reason, reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe. Have a great weekend!

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, Lowry's paintings look like the folk-art paintings of the U.S. There is a certain naive charm in both cases. Funny how tastes differ. Compared to Susan's comment above, I really liked the industrial painting, but was put off by the triple-portrait, although we agree on the house one!
--Jim

Hels said...

Where Lowry concentrated on real architecture and identifiable humans (eg Steps of Wick, Ancoats Hospital Outpatients), you can clearly see what he wanted to say. And he said it so well!

I am not sure that was true for his matchstick men.

bazza said...

Susan: To my mind I don't believe anyone is unqualified to have an opinion on art! (And I've got an Arts Degree). One simply 'responds' as you have done! I feel that the benefits of these pictures are lasting - and I've known them for long time. We were recently at the Lowry Gallery in Manchester and it was a wonderful experience.

bazza said...

Diana: It might be worth searching for Lowry in Google Images or Bing. He really is underrated in my opinion. His unpopulated industrial views certainly have a certain quality but sometimes I am loathe to analyse paintings that I simply want to enjoy! He loved the people and scenes that he painted.

bazza said...

Jim: My answer to Diana (see above) was meant to be a response to you!

bazza said...

Diana again!: Yes, I get the Poe reference. Very haunting!

bazza said...

Hels: I think the matchstick people are pure affection for his subject but you have identified his 'better' paintings. He has always divided opinion among critics. I have always felt uncomfortable looking at the Steps of Wick. Maybe it's the thought of climbing those steps!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I too know little about art ... but I've always liked Lowry's works ... his matchstick men - they really reflect the cultural life around him ... rushing to work or the match, passing the mills, going through the foul air. The man with his two sons is quite extraordinary - their eyes. Art is how we see it, isn't it ... and we all see and appreciate different things ... cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Hilary: It's an old cliché but no one needs to 'know' about art to know what pleases them. The best thing I find is to examine your own reaction to any piece of art. That will tell you all you need to know!

Sherry Ellis said...

He's a very talented artist with a recognizable style. Personally, I find the Man and His Sons painting rather creepy, but I like the rest of them. Stark and industrial.

bazza said...

Sherry: I think I agree about the creepy portrait but it's not typical of his work. His style is certainly recognisable which led to many forgeries!