View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Wednesday 27 March 2019

The Lavender Hill Mob


A couple of weeks ago Leah and I went with some friends to an event which was part of JEWISH HISTORY MONTH. It was a tour and talk at Ealing Studios. They showed one of the great Ealing Comedies – The Lavender Hill Mob with Alec Guinness, Stanley Holloway and also featuring Sid James, Alfie Bass and with a cameo from Sydney Tafler. The whole event was in honour of Sir Michael Balcon who directed the studio from 1938 to 1956. He was the son of Jewish immigrants from Latvia. Several members of his family were in the audience.

Sir Michael never really mixed with the ‘talent’. His office was a house within the Ealing lot and, if they wanted to talk with him, he opened a window and addressed them through it!
When the BBC took over Ealing Studios in 1956 he left the Company and set up Ealing Films in Borehamwood. Ealing is still a working film and television studio, the longest continually working one in the world, which opened under another name in 1902. The Berlin Film Studios would have held that record but they were interrupted by RAF Bomber Command during the war. The Luftwaffe’s attempt on Ealing was, thankfully, less successful!
I'm listening to Victoria de Los Angeles singing the haunting melody, usually known as 'Bailero' from Canteloube's Songs of The Auvergne. I listen to this piece of music nearly every day of my life and it never fails to move and inspire me. 
Join me and listen here!

14 comments:

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, It has been quite a long time since I saw this comedy--I must have still been in high school. Interesting to learn some of the history of Ealing Studios.
--Jim

NanaDiana said...

I haven't seen that movie in years!!! I am adding it to my'watch' list.
I think it is funny that he only talked to people through his window...lol
That is a beautiful piece of music. One that I have never heard.
Have a wonderful day.

jenny_o said...

Hi Bazza, do you have an email where I could message you privately regarding your most recent comment on my blog? or you can email me: newjennyo@gmail.com Thanks :)

Hels said...

When I lived in St Albans Herts in the early 1970s, people were still talking about the tv and film studios in Borehamwood and Elstree. Some had closed down by then, but a few of them were still being well used.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - what a fascinating tour that must have been. Balcon was obviously very forward thinking. Ealing studios flourished under Balcon's leadership. Loved finding out that Balcon was grandfather to Tamasin Day-Lewis and Daniel Day-Lewis ... fun post to read - thank you ... Hilary

bazza said...

Jim: The audience laughed heartily all the way through the showing of the film. Most of the so-called Ealing Comedies were of a similar standard. Most notably Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lady Killers, Whiskey Galore and my favourite Passport to Pimlico.
They perfectly illustrate the British ability to laugh at ourselves.

bazza said...

NanaDiane: The films have really aged well and really capture those difficult post-war years in the UK. I'm glad you enjoyed the music!

bazza said...

jenny_o: Hi, I have emailed you!

bazza said...

Hels: Borehamwood is now a very busy film and mainly TV studio. EastEnders is made there. Ealing still makes lots of TV and feature films. All of the buildings including the four sound stages are 'listed' which protects them from any speculative development.

bazza said...

Hilary: Yes, Balcon was the driving force that made Ealing one of the world's leading film production centres for many years. His daughter Jill Balcon, an actress, married the poet Cecil Day-Lewis against the wishes of Sir Michael. And, of course, Daniel is their son.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I vaguely remember seeing that film. I don't remember much about it other than the title... a memorable one, eh?... and I don't care to know exactly how many years ago that was. :)

More and more film studios are cropping up in our area, and lots of movies and TV shows have been shot here in recent years. In fact, our son-in-law does some location prep & protection work for the studios, and he's really enjoyed getting to meet some of the stars.

bazza said...

Susan: It's a fascinating industry. I spent one (whole) day working as an extra.
I think The Lavender Hill Mob was made in 1951 so it must have been quite old when you saw it!

Sherry Ellis said...

I'm not familiar with this film. I see it was made in 1951. Twenty years before I entered this world!

bazza said...

Sherry: The Ealing Comedies have always remained popular in the UK and in many other parts of the world. They reflect a bygone age so different from now. There are very few cars in the streets!