View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Thursday 28 February 2019

Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare


Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare
Let me not to the marriage of true minds   
Admit impediments. Love is not love   
Which alters when it alteration finds,   
Or bends with the remover to remove:   
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark, 
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;   
It is the star to every wandering bark,   
Whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.   
Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks   
Within his bending sickle’s compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,   
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.   
  If this be error, and upon me prov’d,   
  I never writ, nor no man ever lov’d.
This is in the form of an English or Shakespearean sonnet with three four-lined quatrains followed by a couplet. The other major form of sonnet is the Petrarchan which has an eight-line stanza followed by a six-line conclusion and with varying rhyme schemes.
The poet is describing how true love is never-changing and does not change "when it alteration finds". The metaphor of sailing the ocean is strong with "an ever-fixed mark that looks on tempests"; in other words the North Star. A "bark" or barque is a three-masted sailing ship.
In the third quatrain Time is personified but although his sickle may alter the course of beauty it cannot change love which  lasts "even to the edge of doom" - until the end of life.
In the final couplet Shakespeare is saying if he is proved wrong in his description then no man ever-loved.
I'm listening to the wonderful and tragic Robert Wyatt singing with his group Matching Mole. The song, O'Caroline has real meaning in his life and is not just a love song. One day I will write a post about Wyatt. Listen HERE.

14 comments:

Hels said...

Hmmm I presume if Shakespeare was saying "if he is proved wrong in his description then no man ever-loved", then he was also referring to himself. As 21, he left home, dumped his wife and three babies and barely saw them again. Presumably career was more important than love.

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, There is an entire category of songs and poems, including this one, that aver that the narrator will still love no matter how old and decrepit his lover becomes. Once classic example is "Silver Threads Among the Gold". All of these assume that no one, male or usually female, grows old gracefully, or may actually improve with time.

Songwriter Tom Lehrer spoofs this genre with his "When You are Old and Gray":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZH0y7VxE

Jim

bazza said...

Hels: Or he didn't actually love Anne Hathaway! So little is known about the person he was.

bazza said...

Jim: I loved the Tom Lehrer song and now I'm listening to a selection of his stuff on You Tube. I'm listening to Lobachevky as I type!
I think growing older is easier for men than for women. We don't have to work so hard at looking OK!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

This is probably one of Shakespeare's most recognized sonnets, and although I appreciate the way it reads, I don't agree with his sentiments. In my opinion, for love to endure, it cannot be never-changing. It has to adapt and mature as we age and undergo changes. The starry-eyed love of youth is over-the-moon wonderful, but the eyes-wide-open acceptance and steadfast love between long-time spouses, in spite of what may be diverging individual growth and changes, is absolutely glorious. Enduring love means still loving each other, in spite of those changes. We learn to adapt, and we adjust our expectations. Those who cannot do that rarely make it for the long haul.

bazza said...

Susan: This along with "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day" are the top two.
I think the post is saying that Enduring love means still loving each other, in spite of those changes! He makes the point that love endures despite finding alterations.
It is still a lovely piece of writing however we interpret it!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I guess it depends on one's interpretation of not "altering." I think of love as something more dynamic, rather than a static non-changing thing. You say "potatoes;" I say "po-tah-toes." :)

klahanie said...

Hey Bazza,

I'm actually aware of this sonnet by good old Willie. Thanks for your take on it. As for me, I really enjoyed the time that Dr. Seuss and William Shakespeare collaborated on a bit of prose, "Green Eggs and Hamlet."

As you were.

Gazza

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - thanks for putting up the sonnet and for elaborating on it for me to think through ... love is all ... as my uncle used to say. It's just always interesting reading what others think - so thank you for making us ponder his words. I loved the video and finding out more about Robert Wyatt ... sad, yet wonderful life he's been able to live ... lots of loving friends around him ... I enjoyed this - cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Gary aka Gazza: I do enjoy a Sunday morning chuckle. Thanks for that! Hope you are doing OK Gary.

bazza said...

Hilary: Thank you for that. People like The Beatles have carried on the All You Need is Love theme into the present day.
Robert Wyatt seems like a tragic figure. I don't know but I love the music, especially O'Caroline.

bazza said...

Susan: I say spuds!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Shakespeare was a romantic, not a realist.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

HA! Well, of COURSE you say spuds! Too funny.