View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Thursday 14 February 2019

Painting of the Month (85) Feb 2019: Samuel Peploe.

SAMUEL PEPLOE was a Scottish post-impressionist who worked in Edinburgh and Paris. He was an avid follower of the French painters throughout his career.
Sill Life, Samuel Peploe (1871-1935)
I like this painting for its simple beauty and I am reluctant to over-analyse. I will just say that the influence of Cezanne is strong and obvious. That’s no bad thing as far as I am concerned! He made many still life paintings and also excelled at landscapes and a few portraits. Here's another:
I'm listening to my favourite version of one of my favourite songs: Willie Nelson's Funny How Time Slips Away. You can listen here. There's also a great version by Brook Benton and many others.

16 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Lovely artwork and that is a great old song...and much truer to me now than the first time I heard it. Have a great evening- Diana

Hels said...

I first saw a Peploe in Australia and loved the thick paint layers and bright light being shone on the objects on the table. Talking of thick paint, have you seen the Van Gogh film that just came out?

Peploe's landscapes seem more frail than his still lifes.

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, Peploe's glowing still lifes look like stained glass. I agree with Hels that his landscapes have an altogether different feel, quieter and with less vibrant tones.
--Jim

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Lovely art, Bazza, and what could be better than starting my day off with Willie Nelson. He is a treasure.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I'm sure I've heard of him ... but haven't seen any of his works. I like the two you've selected for us ... Interesting to read two of his works feature in two fiction books ... teaches us more about him I guess - I could get them out of the library to read = sometime! Cheers - thanks for highlighting him for us - Hilary

bazza said...

Diana: I find the really good songs never go out of fashion!

bazza said...

Hels: Yes, his landscapes disappoint me but I can live with his still life work!
Do you mean the Animated film of his paintings? I love that one!

bazza said...

Jim: I find his still life paintings (still lifes or still lives?) are in a class of their own and are very special. I really like the obvious Cezanne influences.

bazza said...

Arleen: Yes the same for me - beautiful art and everlasting music!

bazza said...

Hilary: Peploe is fairly low profile. I suspect that if name was Peplais or Peplovski we would know much more about him!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Both of those paintings are lovely. Keep showing us stuff like that and I might be tempted to pull my oils out and blow off the dust... :)

Thanks for allowing Willy to serenade me while I sip my tea.

bazza said...

Susan: One great thing (among many) about the Internet is that one can discover so many new artists and works I never knew about from famous artists.
I believe that once you've been serenaded by Willy, then that's it!

Hels said...

bazza

see the film At Eternity's Gate (2018), starring Willem Dafoe as van Gogh.
I wonder if Peploe had seen any van Gogh still life paintings before he painted his own.

bazza said...

Hels: He was heavily into the post-impressionists so I'd say that's a big 'yes'!
I'll look for that film. I think he was once portrayed by Kirk Douglas.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The fruit seems to have a kind of flat geometric look. Still life is probably the single technique that has been used since art was first created.

Sherry Ellis said...

I can definitely see the influence of Cezanne in those works!