View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 26 April 2020

REPOST from 2012: Painting of the Month, Alex Snellgrove

Persian Girl by Alex Snellgrove
On my recent visit to Australia (from November 2012)I was lucky enough to meet up with esoteric fellow-Blogger Stephen Simmonds. He and his wife Rosalie took Leah and I to a gallery in Clovelly, a suburb of Sydney near Bondi Beach, where their friend, local artist Alex Snellgrove, was showing her latest work.
As you can see she has a wonderful way of painting water. The series of paintings, of which the above is one, displays her great ability to convey the luminosity and movement of water. The effect of light and the translucence it gives the water is delightful. We met the charming artist and bought some cards with prints of her work; I would have liked to have purchased a painting too but they were (justifiably) out of my price range!
Coogee Beach, Sydney by Alex Snellgrove
I'm listening to Dion's version of Leonard Cohen's much-recorded Sisters of Mercy. There are many excellent versions of this wonderful song but Dion's is surprisingly good. Hear it here!

8 comments:

Hels said...

Leonard Cohen's story, as recorded in Sisters of Mercy, represented such a difficult part of his life. He clearly recognised that he survived only because of the Sisters' endless support and love.

Gosh I miss you, Leonard.

Parnassus said...

I think I prefer the Coogee Beach painting, with its mix of beach, water and human activity. The first painting almost seems uncomfortably intrusive.
--Jim

bazza said...

Hels: It's such a great song that it's hard to imagine a bad version.

bazza said...

Jim: I prefer them the other way round. The way the water is painted is really top-notch!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - love the first one ... amazingly real water ... what's the connection with the Persian girl? Was Alex in the Med? Very good artist ... I'm full of admiration - take care - Hilary

bazza said...

Hilary: I believe it was painted in Australia, where we were at the time. I just assumed that the girl was Persian. Should have asked! The painting looks wonderful when seen for real.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Those paintings are glorious. I know, first hand, how difficult it is to capture the essence of water with oil paints and a brush, and this artist certainly excels in that area.

In case you're interested, I'm listening to "Pavarotti and Friends." :)

bazza said...

Susan: Seeing them 'in the flesh' as it were, is a real treat. She is a very skilled artist.
I wish more people would publish what they are listening to! I really enjoying recommendations. I presume the Pavarotti is an album of duets.