View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 12 April 2020

John Prine 1946-2020

I was saddened to learn that Covid-19 had claimed the life of John Prine, one of my favourite singer-songwriters.  By all accounts he was a decent family man. His songs are often very humorous and can be full of hard-hitting social commentary. When he first appeared on the scene he was dismissed as just another Bob Dylan clone but he persevered and showed his true worth. Here are some links to a few of my favourite songs and a cover by Bette Midler:
Sam Stone - a very moving song from early in his career. Listen here.
Speed of the Sound of Loneliness - lovely lyrics, catchy tune. Listen here.
In Spite of Ourselves - with Iris DeMent, very funny. Listen here.
Hello in There- such a sad song. Listen here.
And finally an emotional cover of Hello in There by Bette Midler. Listen here.
Joan Baez has also covered the song but, for me, it doesn't work so well at the high tempo she has used.

12 comments:

Hels said...

1946 wasn't so long ago, was it? How tragic that yet another artist has been taken by coronavirus, long before Prine's time.

I love social commentary in the arts and Bette Midler was the perfect person to pick it up.

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, I had never heard of John Prine, but after listening to a couple of the samples you listed, I am sure that I have heard his music before. Many people seem to use words like 'sad' and 'poignant' to describe his music, but for it it edges all the way into depressing.
--Jim

NanaDiana said...

That is so sad. I didn't know who he was but I do recognize the music. It's a sadder world today as we lose artists. Happy Easter- Diana

bazza said...

Hels: I think John Prine had cancer a few years ago and was probably in a 'high risk' category. Also today we learned that Tim Brooke-Taylor has died at 79 and Stirling Moss the racing driver has died from natural causes at 90.
I included Bette Midler's version of that song because it's as good as his!

bazza said...

Jim: I like 'sad' songs as long as they aren't melodramatic or mawkish. The first song, Sam Stone, could be depressing but it's heartfelt.

bazza said...

Diana: Happy Easter to you too! The virus is certainly no respecter of persons; even our Prime Minister has had it quite badly!

Parnassus said...

Hello again, After reading your post, I first looked at Wikipedia to check on Prine, and his music was somewhat paradoxically described as both sad and humorous. After listening, I felt that if that was supposed to be irony, it certainly was incisive, but also on the depressing side. Possibly you chose his more somber pieces by choice, or affected by his passing. When I have the opportunity, I will go to YouTube and give him a fair trial.
--Jim

bazza said...

Jim: I do think sad and humorous is correct - but not at the same time! For example Hello in There and In Spite of Ourselves illustrate this. You might like to check out That's the Way the World Goes Round, Souvenirs & Angel from Montgomery

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I do love the Bett Midler version ... and looked up the lyrics - so right for today ... take care and sad losing John Prine ... he was obviously special in the music world. Hilary

bazza said...

Hilary: Yes, I included that cover because it's so good. I have enjoyed John Prine's music for many years!

Sherry Ellis said...

Hello in There is a sad song. So interesting that he wrote about what old people feel when he was still a young man.

bazza said...

Sherry: Good point! It was one of his early songs as was Sam Stone.