View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Wednesday 20 May 2020

Looney Facts repost from 2011

Here is a list of seemingly looney facts. Can you spot the one that 's not true?
  • Japanese research has concluded that moderate drinking can boost IQ levels.
  • The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth is called Arachibutyrophobia.
  • Macadamia nuts are not sold in their shells because it takes 300 pounds per square inch of pressure to break the shell.
  • Florida: An elephant tied to a parking meter must pay the regular parking fee.
  • In Samoa, it is illegal to forget your wife's birthday.
  • In Alabama it is illegal to stab yourself to gain someone's pity.
  • In the UK it is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
  • Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
  • London taxis (black cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
  • Descendants of Sweeney Todd, the cannibalistic barber, founded a sausage factory in Somerset, England after the First World War.
  • The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
  • Queen Elizabeth Ist regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not.
  • An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
These facts have all been verified by the Internet....so they must be true! Answers at the weekend.
I'm listening to Dion & The Belmonts singing Ruby Baby, one of the all-time great rock and roll songs. Listen here.

7 comments:

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, Nice to see your post. I didn't think that Sweeney Todd was real, so I'll guess that one. About the macadamia nuts, I have purchased them in the shell, but the thick shells are partially sawn through, and each bag is provided with a steel key to wrench the nuts open.
--Jim

Hels said...

Queen Elizabeth I was indeed regarded as a paragon of cleanliness. Her staff bathed once every month, whether she needed it or not :)

[And I spell loony without an e].

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - these are some great ideas ... yet so much is often written into county/provincial rules and government regulations ... so the elephant one ... but I'm sure I'm wrong - take care and good to see a post - Hilary

bazza said...

Thanks everyone. I shall refrain from commenting until the weekend!

bazza said...

Jim (Parnassus) was right - Sweeny Todd is a fictitious character!

Sherry Ellis said...

Those are some peculiar facts! I remember hearing about the elephant in Florida. I wonder what inspired that rule?

bazza said...

Sherry: I would guess that it's an interpretation of a law that says anything you leave in the space must be paid for!