View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Wednesday 28 March 2012

London Monopoly (7): Whitehall

In my travels around the London Monopoly board I have now turned the first corner on the board and arrived at the first property in the pink set - Whitehall. Now it begins to get really interesting.
The view from Trafalgar Square down Whitehall. In the distance is the Clock Tower of the Palace of Westminster where the Houses of Parliament are. It is popularly known as Big Ben but that is actually the name of the bell itself.
Whitehall is one of the most famous streets in the United Kingdom. Off to right at the far end is Downing Street, the official residence of the Prime Minister and the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Also, at the end of Whitehall is The Cenotaph, where the National Day of Remembrance is held for the servicemen who died in two World Wars.
The area was previously occupied by the Palace of Whitehall, destroyed by fire in 1698.
Now the whole road is lined with government Ministry buildings and the term 'Whitehall' has become a euphemism or metonym for 'Government'.
The Cenotaph, Whitehall, during a ceremony of Remembrance.

14 comments:

John said...

Bazza,
An informative post, as always. Plus, a very nice painting (I think I have seen this artists work before, but I am not sure?).
Thank you my friend.
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

bazza said...

John: I'm not sure who the artist is but on the BBC news this evening they had the exact same view on an outside broadcast. I enjoy researching this series of posts!

Anonymous said...

The rather sensational Sir Tom Eagerly says:
Well Bazza, I know this area rather well. There are a few decent pubs around there as it happens. Is the Ministry of Scotch Whisky around there I wonder? It should be.
I'll drink to that - chin chin old boy!

klahanie said...

Hey bazza,
In my travels I have been to Whitehall. And I wish to thank you for giving me even more reason to get back to London. I can see it now. Yet another parade in my honour.....

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have never been to London, but always wanted to visit. Because I am from America, I have great fondness for Great Britain, even if I am of Irish desent.

Botanist said...

That set was always my favourite to collect in Monopoly. It always seemed to have great strategic importance for some reason.

I vaguely remember walking along Downing Street before they blocked it off, many years ago. I'd have paid more attention at the time if I'd known what a rare memory that was going to become.

bazza said...

Starting Over: I feel the same way. The British and Irish are, for the most part, great friends. Both Irish and American culture is so intertwined with our own that is couldn't be otherwise!

bazza said...

Botanist: That's right. I recall when you could walk right past the front door of No. 10 Downing Street and there would be a solitary policeman on duty outside.
Was that ever the case at the White House (or 24 Sussex Drive)?
Those were the days.....

bazza said...

Sir Tom: If there is ever a Minister of Scotch Whisky it would have to be you!

bazza said...

Gary: If there is be a parade in your honour I would be marching at the front!

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I'm such a girl. I love this pink! Is the painting by Beckett? I think I'm going to like the 'pink set' too!!!

bazza said...

dcrelief: The painting is by Fred Beckett. I'm impressed! The next London Monopoly post, the second in the pink set, will be Pall Mall, a very classy street.

Jemi Fraser said...

Very cool! It's interesting to see how language evolves due to our slang usage! Love it :)

bazza said...

Hello Jemi. The origin of words is a topic that fascinates me. Also the words that differ between USA and British English. I have (yet another) post on this topic in the pipeline!