View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 27 March 2011

Quiz Question (15): Quotations from two American novels.


Q 1: From which 20th century novel is this an extract? "Take most people, they're crazy about cars. They worry if they get a little scratch on them, and they're always talking about how many miles they get to a gallon, and if they get a brand-new car already they start thinking about trading it in for one that's even newer. I don't even like old cars. I mean they don't even interest me. I'd rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God's sake."
Q 2: And from which other 20th century novel is this qoutation taken?
"Teachers of children in the United States of America wrote this date on blackboards again and again, and asked the children to memorize it with pride and joy: 1492. The teachers told the children that this was when their continent was discovered by human beings. Actually, millions of human beings were already living full and imaginative lives on the continent in 1492. That was simply the year in which sea pirates began to cheat and rob and kill them."
I will give the answers in the comments after a few attempts have been made. It's quite difficult, although both the novels are very famous, so please have a guess even if you don't know for sure!

12 comments:

THE SNEE said...

Hi Bazza,

Another one of your fun, challenging quizzes, and as an "AMERICAN" I feel the pressure is on! I have my ideas, but will first have to confirm my thoughts by getting out my eye patch and sailing over to the bookshelf to see if I'm right. I'd grab my car, but it's out of gas. I'll be back to tell you if I'm on the right track.

Kelly said...

I think the second one is from Kurt Vonnegut- The closest person I've ever had as a hero. I know I've read that passage from a book before. I hope I'm right.

I don't know about the first one. If I win or I'm right about the second guess, you'll give me an all expense paid trip to meet you in person and crash at your place for a couple months, right? Don't worry. I'll clean up after myself. I can't say for certain Sir Tom will, however. Yeah, he'll be coming, too. Package deal. Woo hoo.

bazza said...

The Snee: Yes, I originally had one British and one American quote. Next time it will two Brits; even harder maybe! I await your guess with interest.

Kelly: OK, I'll get the guest room ready (with a nice view over our rear garden). You may have to 'bunk' with Sir Tom. Is that OK?
I am making no comments on how 'warm' your guess maybe as yet!

EVERYONE: Here's an extra clue; I was going to publish a picture of Robbie Burns as an obtuse clue to one of the questions but changed my mind. Fiendish, aren't I?

John said...

Hi bazza,
I think I know these!
The first one is from `Catcher in the Rye` by J.D.Salinger and the second is I think from `Breakfast of Champions` by Kurt Vonnegut (I think the second was made into an appalling film starring Bruce Willis!)
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

bazza said...

Hi John: I will give the answers after a few more comments. I'm saying nothing for now!

THE SNEE said...

John beat me to it! My library shelf yielded the same results!

David said...

Dear bazza,
Just to let you know that I didn't have a clue about either of these, although I have read "Catcher in the Rye" some time ago. I also love Kurt Vonnegut, and "Slaughterhouse-Five" must be one of my favourite novels, but I have never read "Breakfast of Champions".
So, there you go. Definitely hard enough, this time, bazza. Perhaps I'll do better with the British ones!
Yours with Very Best Wishes,
David.

bazza said...

Mrs Snee: What! You read through your entire library until you came across theses two passages? That's dedication beyond the reach of ....sanity. Final cnfirmation of answers later.

David: I suppose these kind of things are easy if you know them and hard if you don't.

EVERYONE (again): Does anyone know why I was going to post a picture of Robbie burns as a clue?

Anonymous said...

From the shy and coy Sir Tom Eagerly:
Hello Bazza old chap. After two years I am finally completing a novel; next year I hope to read another one!
But seriuosly, I did read a book once but it hurt my brain.
Tally Ho!

bazza said...

Sir Tom: I think there is a danger that this site will stretch your intellectual ability beyond it's limit. I am sure you will hardly notice!

THE SNEE said...

Oh dear me no Bazza! I'm not that dedicated. I had an idea and knew exactly where the books were since my kids recently read them. Really though, you just happened to pick two authors I'm familiar with. Next time.....we'll see.

bazza said...

Well I suppose that the prize (just the kudos, nothing else!) must go to the first complete correct answer from John, see above.
Kelly was on the right track and correctly identified his near-hero Kurt Vonnegut.

The reason why I was going to place a picture of Robbie Burns as a clue is that JD Salinger took his title from Burns's poem 'Comin Through the Rye'. Wikipedia syas this: "Comin' Through the Rye" provides the title of J. D. Salinger's novel The Catcher in the Rye. The main character, Holden Caulfield mishears the lyric, "Gin a body meet a body/ comin' through the rye." Thinking it is, "Gin a body catch a body/ comin through the rye," he imagines a field of rye and children playing in the field. He sees himself standing on the edge of the cliff, keeping the children from plummeting down."