View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 26 February 2023

THE SECRETARY BIRD

This crazy-looking creature is a large African bird of prey. At first I didn’t believe it was real so I had to check it out. It’s real and probably the weirdest land animal of any kind.

Although a member of the order Accipitriformes, which also includes many other diurnal birds of prey such as kites, hawks, vultures, and harriers, it is placed in its own family, Sagittariidae.

The bird is instantly recognisable as a large bird with an eagle-like body on crane-like legs that give the it a height of as much as 1.3 m (4 ft 3 in). Adults have a featherless red-orange face and predominantly grey plumage, with a flattened dark crest and black flight feathers and thighs. It also has very long eyelashes which I suppose helped to give it the name!

I'm listening to the late and tragic Ronnie Lane singing You Never Can Tell on BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test in 1974. Ronnie was a founder member of The Small Faces, Faces (with Rod Stewart) and Slim Chance. He died far too young from multiple sclerosis. You can listen here. (It's best played as loud as you can stand!)


12 comments:

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, I see that the secretary bird is endangered. Apparently nothing is wondrous enough to halt the decimation of the environment (although certainly the less-showy species are equally worth conservation). --Jim

NanaDiana said...

LOL-Well, I am a Sagittarius and am a pretty rare bird myself. LOL. I would have seen this photo somewhere and considered it a joke! Crazy to think it is real! Thanks for the fun post. Diana

hels said...

Given that those huge legs cannot bend, sleeping, mating and flying must be awkward.

Brenda said...

Used to dance to this.

bazza said...

Jim: If even a bird of prey is in danger of extinction, the there's no security for any living thing!

bazza said...

Diana: I can't make my mind up if it's fun post or not! On balance it probably is... 😊

bazza said...

Hels: Is that so? Well yes but on the other hand, not-so-low-hanging fruit will always be available...

bazza said...

Brenda: I assume that you're talking about the music and not the Secretary Bird?😄

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I don't think I've ever seen one close up like this ... it looks like a strutting model! Amazing photo - I've always loved their name ... thanks for posting - cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Hilary: Me neither! I think the rarest bird I ever saw was a Cassowary in Australia.

Brenda said...

The music lol

Lowcarb team member said...

What an amazing bird.

All the best Jan