View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Friday 28 October 2022

Cezanne at Tate Modern

Strangely, I have not posted anything since April and now I am posting on the same topic as then - Paul Cezanne. As it was our anniversary yesterday, Leah and I spent the day in the West End of London. After a lunch by the Thames we were off to the Cezanne exhibition at Tate Modern on the South Bank. The show is exceptionally popular and one can only gain entrance by pre-booking. It was absolutely packed but the paintings were wonderful and I had seen so few of them previously. All the big subjects were there, The Bathers, The Apple & Water Jug paintings and then there’s that incredible mountain. Cezanne painted Mont Sainte Victoire in Provence over and over, from endless angles and viewpoints. It’s hidden behind trees, peeking up over rocks, spied down a valley from miles away, stared at way up close. Its stunted bulk dominates and looms, its face shimmering pink and lilac in the sun, deep blue and hushed grey in the shade. It’s a whole world effervescing, disappearing and melting. While the Impressionists painted light, Cezanne painted ideas!

These were all from photographs that Leah took at the exhibition.
I'm listening to an amazing song by Brenda Lee recorded in February 1963 when she was only 18 years old. You can listen to Losing You HERE.




13 comments:

Brenda said...

I remember one display that was surprising to me was the rope of spoons…I spent time in London in 2006 and 2008 with a group…Shakespeare teachers…loved it all. We spent time in Stratford upon Avon…etc. Tate Modern was unusual…and the soaps…my favorite artists are Renoir, Monet, and Van Gogh…museums in NYC and D C are great…those in London fantastic……

bazza said...

Hi Brenda. And the ones in London (and all of the UK) are free! Your favourite artists are pretty much the same as mine, plus Cezanne!

Brenda said...

I like him too…by the love Brenda Lee

Brenda said...

She is almost 78… I just turned 75…grew up with her music…

Hels said...

For the wedding anniversary, especially after longggggg covid inertia, you were very wise to celebrate with a special restaurant meal and wine, then a tour of a special exhibition. Hope you both loved the day :)

Borrowing Cezanne paintings from overseas galleries is an excellent idea. It would be very difficult to follow the movement from Impressionism into the post-Impressionist world, unless we can examine quite a number of Cezannes. His orderliness, flattened surfaces, still lifes, lack of spontaneity especially en plein air and warm colours made his era one of important and influential change.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - good to see you posting again - and Leah has done you and us proud with her photos - thank you Leah!

Those packed exhibitions are really so difficult - no peace! But we're so lucky to be able to get to see things ... the one I missed, because I didn't feel inspired to visit back then was the Matisse exhibition 'The Cut-Outs' in 2014 - which to this day I regret!!

Congratulations to you and Leah ... and it sounds like a happy day together - cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Brenda: Your namesake Brenda Lee was a phenomenal singer!

bazza said...

Hels: I have lots of large format art books included many on Cezanne. As we are thinking of down-sizing our home I may have to find a new home for them! We did have a lovely day thank you.

bazza said...

Hilary: I'll pass the compliment on to Leah! I loved that Matisse; you should be able to see a few of the exhibits in the UK. Thanks for the congrats.

Brenda said...

Alas…this Brenda did not get the gift of singing….

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy anniversary wishes to you and Leah.

I haven't been to an art exhibition for sometime, must try to rectify that!
It looks and sounds that you had a lovely day.

All the best Jan

bazza said...

Jan: Thank you! We are lucky to be only 30 minutes from central London so all the galleries and theatres are within easy reach.

Achima Abelard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.