View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Thursday 17 December 2020

My Sad Captains by Thom Gunn

My Sad Captains

By Thom Gunn, English, 1929 - 2004

One by one they appear in
the darkness: a few friends, and   
a few with historical
names. How late they start to shine!   
but before they fade they stand   
perfectly embodied, all


the past lapping them like a   
cloak of chaos. They were men   
who, I thought, lived only to   
renew the wasteful force they   
spent with each hot convulsion.   
They remind me, distant now.


True, they are not at rest yet, 
but now that they are indeed   
apart, winnowed from failures, 
they withdraw to an orbit
and turn with disinterested   
hard energy, like the stars.

 Source: Collected Poems (Farrar Straus and Giroux, 1994)

 “One by one they appear in the darkness”. In this rather unusual poem Thom Gunn is comparing friends and figures from history to the stars in the sky. They still shine there but they don’t serve any useful purpose. The “sad captains” can no longer have any meaningful role attributed to them. The title is taken from Shakespeare’s Anthony and Cleopatra:

“Let’s have one other gaudy night. Call to me

All my sad captains. Fill our bowls once more.

Let’s mock the midnight bell.”

But why captains? Captains could be those who steer us to our destinations as the leader of the ship. It might also be referring to these people as having once been seen as role models. There is some evidence that Gunn had in mind those such as Elvis Presley, Marlon Brando, James Dean, Caravaggio and even Napoleon Bonaparte. Quite a mix! He was an admirer of Jean-Paul Sartre which chimes in with the existentialist attitude in this poem.

I'm listening to the original version of Walk Away Renée as written and recorded by The Left Banke in 1966! Listen here.
 

10 comments:

Parnassus said...

I couldn't easily find a date for this poem, but it in some aspects reminds me of the work of the war poets, who sometimes realized the dual nature, bravery and futility, of the soldiers.
--Jim

NanaDiana said...

That really is an unusual poem and writing! I love the comparison between the mariners and the stars. Interesting. Have a wonderful day- Diana

Hels said...

What do you think this line means:
"They were men who, I thought, lived only to
renew the wasteful force they spent with each hot convulsion."

bazza said...

Jim: I think it's from the late fifties, maybe 1960. Your analogy is quite insightful I would say. Very often a work like this can be successful on more than one level and the reader may not even be aware of other meanings!

bazza said...

Diana: It's really quite a deep and thoughtful piece of writing. Like so much of the better stuff it requires some work to appreciate it. Have a good weekend yourself!

bazza said...

Hels: That's difficult. I think he's referring to the main theme of the poem: that the lives of these men shone brightly and, despite all of their efforts, it didn't amount to anything lasting. And I think he's wrong. You couldn't say that about, for example, Elvis Presley. That particular legacy still shines bright (but maybe that's what Gunn meant with his analogy?)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I hadn't come across Thom Gunn before ... so thank you for introducing me ... I enjoy poetry ... but need at some stage to explore more as I'm a complete novice ... still reading blogs helps. Take care and stay safe in these difficult times. Hilary

bazza said...

Hilary: A really good introduction to poetry is The Ode Less Travelled by the ubiquitous Stephen Fry. As one might expect, it's a really good read.
Thon Gunn is difficult and not instantly appealing - but I like this one!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

OMG..."The Ode Less Traveled"... that's a brilliant title!

And this is a brilliant poem. Very thought-provoking, but I don't know that I agree with the poet's point of view. All lives, even the lives of the most talented, the "brightest and best stars" among us, eventually come to an end, but that doesn't mean those lives lose all meaning once they're gone. His ideas strike me as being a touch nihilistic.

Take care of yourselves, and happy new year!!!


bazza said...

Susan: I tend to agree with you, although I really appreciate the imagery used in this particular poem. Thom Gunn was a bit of a misery-guts!