View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Monday 23 July 2018

REPOST: E. Annie Proulx

THIS IS A FURTHER UPDATE OF A TOPIC I FIRST BLOGGED ABOUT TWENTY-TWO YEARS AGO!
E. Annie Proulx (pronounced 'Proo') is a writer of wonderful fiction. Her densely written, observational style is packed with lots of detail and a very strong sense of place, such as the unfashionable parts of Newfoundland, Wyoming and Texas. Her descriptive writing always reminds me of John Steinbeck's work due to her obvious affection for the places and kinds of people who are not usually the heroes of modern fiction. She has a Dickensian knack of naming her characters in an outlandish way that very soon seems to be perfectly natural.
For example “That Old Ace in The Hole” (2002) features, among others, Jerky Baum, Pecan Flagg, Blowy Cluck, Coolbroth Fronk, and Waldo Beautyrooms. It’s the story of Bob Dollar, hired by Global Pork Rind to buy up small farms, in the Texas panhandle town of Woolybucket, so that they can be turned into hog farms under the guise of buying land for luxury housing. The book touches on the larger issue of pollution and depletion of the water table as a background. The story is fairly thin on plot but rich in character and anecdote.
“Accordion Crimes” (1996) lovingly tells the story of a succession of owners of an accordion. Annie Proulx is a dispassionate observer of life but she does not shy away from unpleasant scenes and can be brutally honest in her depiction of those who are the losers in life’s lottery.
“The Shipping News” (1993) is a magnificent novel that demands a lot from the reader, whose attentiveness will be richly rewarded. At the start of each chapter a picture of a different type of knot is shown and this turns out to have a metaphorical reference to the content of that chapter. It was turned into a successful movie with Kevin Spacey in 2001. In a similar way “Postcards”(1992) showed a drawing of a postcard at the start of each chapter with a message that was sometimes directly relevant to the story and sometimes just added background colour. In 1997 she wrote a short story which was published in a collection of her work called "Close Range: Wyoming Stories" (1999) which was filmed in 2005. That was the very successful "Brokeback Mountain", in which she typically tackled a subject that had hitherto been taboo in mainstream literature.

Since I first wrote this (1996) and updated it on this Blog (2013) Annie Proulx has continued to publish and is still among my favourite writers. At the age of 82, she is still working!
I am continuing to repost earlier efforts due to a lack of time. Back to normal with some new stuff soon..... I think. .

16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - she does sound an interesting author .. so I've noted her and will look in the library for one of her books ... fascinating selection and information you've given us; she's obviously has a very creative mind - cheers Hilary

Hels said...

My next blog post is a new look at a post I wrote a few years ago. So my question to you is "were you surprised at the changes in Ms Proulx and in your views, over the last 20+ years?" I think I am less certain and more flexible than I used to be. (Or perhaps my memory simply became shakier in my 60s).

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I was surprised to read that you have been blogging for 20 years. That is quite a commitment, Bazza.

You made me want to read everyone of these books. I think, though, that Accordion Crimes would appeal to me the most.

I hope something enjoyable is taking up your time.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I was surprised to hear you'd been blogging so long, too. Gee, you're a real pioneer... :)

I've not read any of Ms. Proulx's books, but you make them all sound very interesting. I'm duly impressed that she's enjoyed such a long writing career.

NanaDiana said...

My goodness! I just found you. You have been blogging for a LONG time! I am your newest follower and looking forward to getting to know you better. Anyone that is a reader is a friend of my own! I am your newest follower and will put you on my sidebar because I read from there.
Kindly- Diana

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, I usually read older books, but I will keep an eye out for some by Annie Proulx--I have heard many good things about her writing.
--Jim

David said...

Hi bazza,
I have a collection of Proulx's short stories called, "Fine Just the Way It Is", which I've yet to read. Your post has certainly made me want to pick it up!
Best Regards,
David.

bazza said...

Hilary: I see her a kind of Steinbeck type author. Well worth a read. I found one book was enough to get me hooked!

bazza said...

Hels: I would say not. She seems fairly consistent in both style and content. I have to say that I have not re-read anything of hers so far. Perhaps I should do that and then make the judgement!

bazza said...

Arleen: I started a Facebook group called 'You Don't Have to be Jewish, London' which is very popular and invited to be a moderator on a group with 60,000 members!
I'm into lots of other things as well but it's all good, thank you!
Sometimes I let Blogging take a back seat for a while and then return refreshed :-)

bazza said...

Susan: I think she was a late starter; nothing published before 40.
I started this Blog in 2006 and had one before that and a few false starts over the years until I found my feet.
Annie Proulx writes in a very masculine style and does not turn her eyes away from anything!

bazza said...

NanaDiana: Thanks, I will pop over and take a look at your Blog(s) later.
I find that people are either book-readers or not - there is no middle ground.

bazza said...

Jim: She published non-fiction from 1980 and her her first work of fiction (Postcards) in 1992. I think she is worth a read!

bazza said...

David:"Fine Just the Way It Is" is possibly the only fiction of hers that I haven't read. I think I marginally prefer her longer fiction although the short stories cover exactly the same type of people and situations. You have no excuse not to read it now!

Sherry Ellis said...

Wow. You've been blogging a long time!

I think it's great that this author is still writing at age 82. No reason to stop doing something you enjoy!

bazza said...

Sherry: It was very intermittent until about 12 years ago! Annie Proulx is, as far as I know, still working hard.