View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Thursday 19 July 2012

London Monopoly (12): Marlborough Street

This is the second property in the orange set in my tour around the London Monopoly board.
The Liberty store in Great Marlborough Street, London
This is really called Great Marlborough Street in an exclusive part of London's Soho. It was named after John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough (1650-1722) an ancestor of Winston Churchill. It's current claim to fame is as the location of the world-famous store Liberty. The design of the building dates from the fashionable Tudor-revival period of the 1920s although the store was founded in the nineteenth century.
It was famous for exclusive sales of William Morris's Arts & Crafts fabric and wallpaper designs. It is now best known for fashion but to this day, they still sell those designs.
A small turning running off from Great Marlborough Street is Argyle Street where the London Palladium theatre is located.

17 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

What a beautiful building. I have always had a thing for the Tudor style.

joanne fox said...

Ooh, Liberty's is my favourite shop in the whole of London!

bazza said...

SO,AC: Liberty is a beautiful building. I am lucky enough to live in a Tudor style house; they are quite popular in the UK.

bazza said...

joanne: It's very traditional in terms of service but they do have very modern fashion there these days as well. Although they have a good menswear dept, it's probably more of a women's shop!

John said...

Liberty is the sort of shop that you want to shop in, but can`t really afford! I have been in there, but have never actually bought anything, I think it's a bit of a tourist thing, a bit like Harrods, been there, but never bought the t-shirt!
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

bazza said...

John: It is a nice place to just be there and enjoy the ambiance. My daughter used to work there and often served famous people all day long (princes, dukes, movie stars etc).

klahanie said...

Hey bazza,
Wow, that was great and you have brought back a memory from about twenty years ago. My brother Andrew worked at "Liberty" for about a year.
He told me it was a great experience.
Take care,
Gary

bazza said...

Gary: Andrew must have had a similar experience to my Laura. Commuting into central London does not appeal to me. My first job for few years was in Holborn but I have worked locally for most of my life.

Aliza Pershing Krepps said...

Liberty's selection of china is just amazing.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Bazza, I love this building. It reminds me of these square shaped cookie that have chocolate stripes.

I would love to visit!! Go orange!

bazza said...

Aliza: Yes they stock a very nice range of household goods. It helps if one is a millionaire when shopping there.

bazza said...

Dixie: I don't knows those cookies (we call 'em biscuits). If you visit London I'll buy you a coffee!
The final orange property, Vine Street, is next in this series.

Kelly said...

Can you buy something for me at Liberty, Bazza? My birthday is coming up. Just make sure it's really expensive and something I'll love.

I'll send you a thank you note. :)

bazza said...

Hi Kezza. Actually I just bought a whole set of house furnishings and a couple of Armani suits and charged them to your account. Hope you don't mind!

George said...

Love post, thank you for sharing. I absolutely love Marlborough it is a fantastic place. In fact, my company is a leading Marlborough roofer, and would be happy to offer free roofing estimates to anyone interested. Thanks for the great article!

bazza said...

Thank you George

Blogger said...

Are you paying over $5 for each pack of cigs? I'm buying all my cigarettes at Duty Free Depot and this saves me over 60%.