View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 10 October 2010

First in a New Series, Spotlight on a Website (1): Delicious.com

Delicious is a Social Bookmarking site that I waste spend a lot of time at. To be absolutely honest I am not quite sure exactly how it works but I am sure that I like it. This from their site:
"Delicious is a Social Bookmarking service, which means you can save all your bookmarks online, share them with other people, and see what other people are bookmarking. It also means that we can show you the most popular bookmarks being saved right now across many areas of interest. In addition, our search and tagging tools help you keep track of your entire bookmark collection and find tasty new bookmarks from people like you."
What it means to me is access to a selection of new and interesting websites. There is quite an emphasis on technical stuff such as software writing and logo design but also humour and satire. Here are some examples of what I found on my last visit recently:
1) 20 Best Free Calligraphy Fonts for Download from http://www.ourtuts.com/
2) Take Your Web Designs to the Next Level from http://sixrevisions.com/
3) 8 Awesome Websites to Take Free College Courses Online from http://www.makeuseof.com/
4) Brain Teasers & Optical Illusions at http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/brain-teasers/brain-teasers-and-optical-illusions/1400154
5)  Free Clipart from the Open Library at  http://www.openclipart.org/
Now go and have some fun and let me know what you think!

13 comments:

The Blogger Formerly Known As said...

I’ve been submitting, or bookmarking my posts to Delicious for a little while now. I read somewhere it was a good idea. I’ve never looked into more than that though. But, now I’m curious. When time permits, I’ll investigate further.
The enigmatic, masked blogger strikes again

shanaz@RS said...

Hi Bazza, I like the calligraphy fonts! They're my favorite too! I'm not on Delicious however. Maybe I'll take a look at it one of these days! Thanks for the lovely intro :)

bazza said...

Hello Mask. I've not actually posted anything there but I am a long-time 'lurker'. Once I start finding interesting stuff, one thing leads to another and I'm hooked and time flies by. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Hi Shanaz. As you can see by the remark above, I don't use it except for surfing, which I really enjoy. Nice to hear from you.

Sir Tom Eagerly said...

Bazza dear boy, I find it hard to believe that you waste/spend your time looking at that kind of website. Personally I find BigTits'R'Us more rewarding. Still, takes all sorts I suppose.
Your blog feeds the mind undoubtedly but don't forget the body needs attention.
Now where did I put that bottle of Bourbon?

THE SNEE said...

Hi Bazza, What a truly delicious idea for a new post series. I enjoy visiting these sites for a bit of old fashioned time wasting, I mean time for widening my horizons. In the olden days, it would have been the encyclopedia and microfiche...Today, it's mixx, delicious, diggit, reddit, etc...maybe you can actually explain how it works to me. Why do some people digg, delicious sites. Do they like the mixx or do they just reddit? Always fun out here on the ice...brrr...

bazza said...

Sir Tom: You are in fact delicious yourself sir. Each to his own. Bottoms up!

Snee: Thanks the list of websites that I could feature. I could spend all day surfing if I didn't have a living to make.
It's not only encyclopeadias and micofiche that are disappearing but Public Libraries as well.
Thanks for visiting. (ps: here's a secret - the next featured website will be www.ted.com.)

joanne fox said...

It all sounds very interesting but I dare not contemplate new ways to spend time on the computer. It's a miracle I get anything done as it is. I honestly wonder how I wasted time before the Internet was invented.

bazza said...

Joanne: Yes, you're right; we don't need further distractions but even so....

klahanie said...

Hi bazza,
I've noted 'Delicious.com' in my internet travels. It does seem interesting. I shall check it out. That would be when I find the time in between all my multi-tasking.
Have a great week, bazza.
In kindness, Gary

joanne said...

so many wonderful ways to get lost in an online maze of distractions... delicious is delicious... and another of my favorites is stumbleupon, for stumbling upon ...

bazza said...

Gary: Thanks for dropping in. If you plan to go to delicious you will find time speeding by, never to return.

Joanne: Hi, yes stumbleupon is another of those 'must see' sites that are taking over our lives.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the heads up on Delicious. I will try to check it out when I get the time. Life is keeping me away checking stuff like that out. I will when the dust settles. I'm barely able to keep my site updated and comment on blogger's websites.*

* makes me so frustrated, I want to cut the head off a hyperactive tv pitchman

bazza said...

Kelly: Wow! That's a neat way of letting out you frustration. No idea what it means though. Hope things return to normal for you asap Kelly.
Delicious can eat up a lot of your time so it's best to wait!