View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 13 September 2020

Come From Away

COME FROM AWAY is a Canadian musical based on the true story of what happened in 2001 when Islamic terrorists attacked the Twin Towers in New York City and 38 planes were diverted to Gander in Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada. Gander had a population of 10,000 which was swelled, with no notice, by another 7,000 for the ensuing week.

My daughter and future son-in-law were on a plane approaching New York at the time. Their aircraft was turned around and sent back to Heathrow, London. If they had been ten minutes earlier, they too would have been diverted to Gander, who did a miraculous job of hosting their unexpected guests.

Leah and I were lucky enough to be at the final preview when the show opened in London in February 2019. To our surprise we discovered that two of the main real-life characters who were being portrayed on stage were sitting next to us. And they pointed out that we were actually surrounded by most of the real-life characters and the creator and original producer were sitting behind us!

Nick and Diane who met in Gander and have been married ever since.
The show is still running in London and is a beautiful musical event. This is my favourite song from the show, which I found very emotional.LISTEN HERE

15 comments:

bazza said...

I forgot to point out that Make Me a Channel of Your Peace is a pre-existing hymn based on a prayer by St Francis of Assisi.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

How fortunate you were, Barry, to meet the real life characters of this feel good play. I have heard quite a bit about this show, all good. A few of my friends have seen it in NYC and in Philly. If the theaters ever open again while I am still vertical, I would love to see it.

Hels said...

When Joe and I moved overseas the first time, we assumed people would love us because we were casual, beach-focused and generous-hearted Australians. However wherever we went, people ranked Australians only third - Canadians were the most popular by a long way, and Swedes second.

Newfoundland & Labrador could not have been more sensitive and supportive, nod.

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, This must be a bittersweet production--laughter and life moving on, in the reflection of a great tragedy. Your special viewing of it and personal experience touching the event made this extra-resonant for you.
--Jim

bazza said...

Arleen: We had booked to see it again but Covid put an end to that! We were thrilled to meet so many real-life characters from the show. We saw Nick and Diane being interviewed on TV the next day. He's English and she is from Texas and they are still married after meeting on that fateful day in Gander!

bazza said...

Hels: My own experience of both Canadians and Australians is they are mostly very popular. We met some wonderful people in Toronto, Vancouver, Melbourne Sydney and Cairns.
What Gander achieved was miraculous. I hope you listened to the song!

bazza said...

Jim: You are SO right! We are theatre lovers in general but that was real night to remember! Our friends keep asking us about it til this day...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - what an amazing coincidence ... and how lovely two people met for life - after their lucky escape to Gander. I seem to have seen something of the musical - but obviously not been to the theatre to see it ... but one day I will. The story is endearing ... and as you miraculous ... take care - Hilary

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I feel woefully uniformed. I don't know why, but I didn't know (Or maybe I forgot?) about those planes being diverted. At first blush, a musical based on that awful day struck me as a dreadful idea, but after listening to the song you posted, I have a feeling the show is actually uplifting and inspirational. It's beyond fantastic that you and your bride had the good fortune of being seated with so many people whose stories were depicted in the musical. What a terrific experience!

bazza said...

Hilary: A remarkable coincidence, as you say. Also, the musical was conceived and developed in Oakville, Ontario, where we were staying at the time! (Although we didn't know about it while we were there).

bazza said...

Susan: It was a once-in-a lifetime experience. Leah will be delighted to have been described as my 'bride'! The show is a 'must see'...

Himawan Sant said...

How nice it is to watch the show surrounded by the cast and crew ... it must be like being the performer in the show.

Hopefully one day i can also watch the theater performance.
Greetings from Indonesia.

bazza said...

Himawan: I thoroughly recommend seeing the show if you get a chance!

Sherry Ellis said...

I didn't know a musical was made of the 911 attacks and the diverted aircraft. I would be interested in seeing that.

bazza said...

Sherry: It is worth seeing Sherry but it's also worth listening to I have the original cast recording on Spotify.