View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 22 March 2020

RE-POST FROM 2012: Isaac Albeniz

As I am a bit of short of time currently, I am going to re-post some of my favourites from over the previous ten years.
Isaac Albeniz 1860 - 1909. A little flamboyant don't you think?

Isaac Albeniz was a Spanish pianist and composer who died at the early age of 48 (from a kidney ailment known at the time as Bright's Disease). I was once a student of the classical guitar and came to his music through the many transcriptions of his piano music for the guitar. Transcription is when a piece of music written for one instrument is arranged and notated for another.
My two favourite pieces are Granada from the Suite Española and the Tango in D and here are links to piano and guitar versions of both where one can see how well they work for the guitar.
Granada for piano (there are better versions but this is the best I could find on You Tube). I'm not sure who plays this.
Granada for guitar played by John Williams.
Tango in D for piano. Again, I don't know who the pianist is.
Tango in D for guitar played by John Williams again.



6 comments:

Parnassus said...

Hello Bazza, Last summer I came across a group of mostly Spanish guitar records (lp's). Many of them featured Albeniz, so I listened to his music quite a bit, along with older guitar music and lute music.
--Jim

bazza said...

Jim: I just adore his music. Although largely composed for piano it works brilliantly for guitar. The Iberia Suite is something I listen to a lot! Comjures up images of Spain much like Manuel De Falla.

Hels said...

I wouldn't have known Albeniz's name except that he was a very devoted Drefusard, a brave position to take in a difficult time. But I would have been interested in knowing about his Moorish, Jewish and Gypsy musical influences.

bazza said...

Hels: I don't know if you listened to the music but I find his compositions to be magical! I did not know that he was influenced by those sources and I assume a Drefusard is a supporter of Captain Dreyfus?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - loved listening to many of these ... as I blog this pm ... sadly must go now - it's been a delight. Albeniz - yes he looks flamboyant - but he had the right to be ... beautiful music! Take care and Cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Hilary: Yes, he died tragically young. I wonder what he would have gone on the produce - like Buddy Holly & Amy Winehouse.