View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Tuesday 31 December 2019

Bazza's New Year 'Wordy' Quiz

  1. Linguistically, what do Blackpool in England and Dublin in Ireland have in common?
  2. What is the antonym of oriental?
  3. Which are the only two countries to have an X in their names?
  4. What do these words have in common: Tungsten, Gauntlet, Moped and Ombudsman?
  5. Which Oscar-winning film was based on Joseph Conrad's 1899 novella, Heart of Darkness?
  6. The name of which city is derived from an indigenous word for "stinky onion" (probably garlic).
  7. Philadelphia means "brotherly love". Which capitol city in the east was also once known as Philadelphia in Biblical times?
  8. Which word, not in use before the 1980s, can be defined thus: “A style of design and fashion that combines historical elements with anachronistic technological features inspired by science fiction”?

Answers next year (ie. 2020)

I'm listening to the ridiculous Wreckless Eric singing his much-unappreciated late punk recording from 1979 of Hit and Miss Judy. Listen here.


12 comments:

Parnassus said...

Happy New Year Bazza, Leah, and Family! Other than Occidental and Steampunk, I am too tired to have my thinking cap on now. Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and try to puzzle out a few more. I have read Heart of Darkness several times, but I don't recall a movie version.
--Jim

Hels said...

The only two countries to have an X in their names are easy but I won't answer in public because then other people won't have to sweat like I did :) Ditto the opposite of oriental.

Parnassus said...

Hello again, Hels is right. You should moderate comments for quiz posts, so we can have the fun of guessing (right or wrong) without influencing others.
--Jim

bazza said...

Jim: The movie was based on the story of Heart of Darkness!

bazza said...

Jim: Do you mean turn comments off for a while?

bazza said...

Hels: OK, point taken! Thank you.

bazza said...

Okay. I have temporarily turned on comment moderation!

David said...

Hi bazza,

Happy New Year to you and your family! It's been ages since I've blogged, but was tempted to comment by one of your famous quizzes!

Anyway, I can only answer three. My guess at number 1 is that Dublin, translated from the original Gaelic(?), means black pool. Number 2 I think is occidental, and number 5 is "Apocalypse Now!".

So, hope I win, but don't think I will this time! Hopefully I'll be back to comment and be writing more blogs in 2020.

Very Best Wishes,

David

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I had a quick look earlier when I was tired (a day or two ago) - but I'm still none the wiser now ... I doubt could match David's three ... cheers I'll enjoy the answers - Happy New Year to you and the family - cheers Hilary

bazza said...

David: Happy New Year to you. Good to hear from you! As I don't get so much time to Blog at the moment not too may people come here so you could win. Possibly!

bazza said...

Hilary: I promise not to laugh if you take wild guesses!

laixinjie said...

Hels: OK, point taken! Thank you.custom photo pillow