View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123ATsky.com Gmail has persistently ignored my request change it even though it belongs to a minor.







Monday, 23 June 2014

Spotlight on a Website (9): NASA Astronomical Picture of the day

This occasional series looks at websites that I often visit. NASA's Astronomical Picture of the Day (click to view) is always accompanied by an expert description and features some of the most beautiful and jaw-dropping images to be found on the Internet.
THE SUNFLOWER GALAXY, Image Copyright: Bill Snyder, Sierra Remote Observatories
AURORA OVER NEW ZEALAND, Image Copyright David Weir, Earth & Sky Ltd
ROVER ARRIVES AT ENDEAVOUR CRATER ON MARS
Image Copyright: Mars Exploration Rover Mission, NASA
HUBBLE ULTRA DEEP FIELD 2014, Image Copyright, NASA



10 comments:

John said...

Stunning images Bazza! The night sky is a wonder to behold, unfortunately, we don't get to see it in all its glory that often due to all the light pollution, but in the middle of nowhere on a clear night the sight can be breathtaking!
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

bazza said...

Hi John. You don't have to move far out of town to notice a huge difference in the night sky. Even where I live in the London Borough of Redbridge there is farmland a mile or so away where you can be almost blinded by stars!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I subscribe to one or two similar sights and am often amazed at the incredibly beautiful images - these you've highlighted are fun .. the sunflower upsets me - looks like it's circling anti-clockwise!!

Space is quite extraordinary and I wonder how far it goes and what it holds .. I may find out when I hit the dust myself, but for now I'm happy to revel in the photos and the night sky itself ..

Cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Hello Hilary. I wouldn't worry about the sunflower galaxy. After all, bathwater doesn't really circulate in the opposite direction in Australia! (Until I was there last year I really believed it did.)

klahanie said...

Greetings Barry,

Fabulous, inspiring photos. And I love all things spaced out. No, nothing predictable about looking for Uranus.

A good weekend to you, good sir.

Gary

bazza said...

Greetings Gary. Welcome to our planet. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

All Consuming said...

Beautiful. A joy to behold. You've just provided me with my favourite as of yet galaxy - The Sunflower Galaxy. I have pictures from that site come up as 'picture of the day' on my blog, it puts things in perspective I find. The colours ofnthe universe. :)

bazza said...

What a coincidence that I should choose your favourite when there are so many to choose from! A billion galaxies, each with a billion stars. The final photo is all galaxies. Blimey.

Sherry Ellis said...

Thank you for sharing those images! I find outer space fascinating. It's wonderful that we have the technology to view the natural beauty of the universe.

bazza said...

Yes, it's a pity that we can't see some of those beautiful images with the naked eye!