View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Sunday 15 April 2012

Spotlight on a Website (6): PostSecret

www.postsecret.com
PostSecret is the world's most visited blog that carries no advertising.  I have been visiting for it for years without realising how popular it was until I saw this TED Talk. (For an introduction to TED see Spotlight on a Website 3).
The simple idea is that people email or send a postcard to Frank Warren where they anonymously reveal a personal secret and he publishes it on his website. A simple idea but a brilliant one. The results are often humorous but can be shocking, elevating, desperately sad and sometimes therapeutic.
Here are a few recent ones: 
www.postsecret.com
www.postsecret.com
www.postsecret.com
www.postsecret.com
Sometimes people send in their secrets by email.....
"I created a false Facebook page for a girl I didn't like. I made her a lesbian"

15 comments:

klahanie said...

Hey bazza,
I thought yours was the world's most visited site that carries no advertising and mine was a distant second. Oh well.
Now this set up seems like a jolly good place for our dear friend and awfully decent chap, Sir Tom Eagerly.
Cheers, old boy....

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Some secrets should be kept.

bazza said...

Gary: No, this site is only about 4th or 5th in the world!
What secrets could dear Sir Tom possibly have? ;)

bazza said...

Starting Over: You are right but because they are anonymous I suppose you could say they are still kept.

David said...

Dear bazza,
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know whether I'd send my most intimate secrets to a blogger. As you say, though, it is all anonymous, and there does seem to be some heart-rending ones sent in.
Thanks, bazza.
Very Best Wishes,
David.

Pearl said...

How interesting. Am going to go take a look, as I'm willing to bet that the secrets are both wonderful and horrible...

Pearl

bazza said...

David: In my experience, on-one has been identifiable through their post and that, of course, is the point. I suppose it's a bit voyeuristic but at heart aren't we all a bit like that? Or is it just me?! I love train journeys where you can see into peoples homes as you travel. I don't know why but it's a bit of curiosity I suppose.

bazza said...

Pearl: Hello and welcome.
You've got that right - 'wonderful and horrible'. That's how I feel when I watch Man v Food, aghast and fascinated at once!
I'll will return the visit to you later. Thanks for looking in.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

A very interesting website. Thanks for spot lighting it. The video and card post are amazing! Truly creative.

bazza said...

Dixie: I check it out every few weeks and I am always amazed, shocked, surprised etc about what I see. Glad you liked it!

THE SNEE said...

Why didn't I think of this! have you ever dropped a secret over there? How many of them are actually true do you think. This was a particularly entertaining highlight Bazza. Wanna know a secret?

bazza said...

Snee: I have not sent them a secret but if I had wouldn't I be unlikely to say so, almost by definition?
I think we are all a little voyeuristic and it can be deliciously enjoyable (as well as distressing) to look in on other people's lives.

bazza said...

Snee: I have not sent them a secret but if I had wouldn't I be unlikely to say so, almost by definition?
I think we are all a little voyeuristic and it can be deliciously enjoyable (as well as distressing) to look in on other people's lives.

All Consuming said...

I thought I'd like that site but it made me uncomfortable. Perhaps I was imagining my own secrets coming out eh? Hehehe. I don't know, it's good for folks to have that as an outlet I reckon. If they need it.

bazza said...

Hi AC. Yes, I agree about the discomfort; I think I had 'switched it off' sub-consciously! However, there is some psychological value if you look deep enough in the site. It performs a service I think that is beyond morbid curiosity.