View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com

Gmail has persistently ignored my request to change it even though it belongs to a minor.







Sunday, 15 April 2012

Spotlight on a Website (6): PostSecret

www.postsecret.com
PostSecret is the world's most visited blog that carries no advertising.  I have been visiting for it for years without realising how popular it was until I saw this TED Talk. (For an introduction to TED see Spotlight on a Website 3).
The simple idea is that people email or send a postcard to Frank Warren where they anonymously reveal a personal secret and he publishes it on his website. A simple idea but a brilliant one. The results are often humorous but can be shocking, elevating, desperately sad and sometimes therapeutic.
Here are a few recent ones: 
www.postsecret.com
www.postsecret.com
www.postsecret.com
www.postsecret.com
Sometimes people send in their secrets by email.....
"I created a false Facebook page for a girl I didn't like. I made her a lesbian"

15 comments:

klahanie said...

Hey bazza,
I thought yours was the world's most visited site that carries no advertising and mine was a distant second. Oh well.
Now this set up seems like a jolly good place for our dear friend and awfully decent chap, Sir Tom Eagerly.
Cheers, old boy....

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Some secrets should be kept.

bazza said...

Gary: No, this site is only about 4th or 5th in the world!
What secrets could dear Sir Tom possibly have? ;)

bazza said...

Starting Over: You are right but because they are anonymous I suppose you could say they are still kept.

David said...

Dear bazza,
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know whether I'd send my most intimate secrets to a blogger. As you say, though, it is all anonymous, and there does seem to be some heart-rending ones sent in.
Thanks, bazza.
Very Best Wishes,
David.

Pearl said...

How interesting. Am going to go take a look, as I'm willing to bet that the secrets are both wonderful and horrible...

Pearl

bazza said...

David: In my experience, on-one has been identifiable through their post and that, of course, is the point. I suppose it's a bit voyeuristic but at heart aren't we all a bit like that? Or is it just me?! I love train journeys where you can see into peoples homes as you travel. I don't know why but it's a bit of curiosity I suppose.

bazza said...

Pearl: Hello and welcome.
You've got that right - 'wonderful and horrible'. That's how I feel when I watch Man v Food, aghast and fascinated at once!
I'll will return the visit to you later. Thanks for looking in.

Dixie said...

A very interesting website. Thanks for spot lighting it. The video and card post are amazing! Truly creative.

bazza said...

Dixie: I check it out every few weeks and I am always amazed, shocked, surprised etc about what I see. Glad you liked it!

THE SNEE said...

Why didn't I think of this! have you ever dropped a secret over there? How many of them are actually true do you think. This was a particularly entertaining highlight Bazza. Wanna know a secret?

bazza said...

Snee: I have not sent them a secret but if I had wouldn't I be unlikely to say so, almost by definition?
I think we are all a little voyeuristic and it can be deliciously enjoyable (as well as distressing) to look in on other people's lives.

bazza said...

Snee: I have not sent them a secret but if I had wouldn't I be unlikely to say so, almost by definition?
I think we are all a little voyeuristic and it can be deliciously enjoyable (as well as distressing) to look in on other people's lives.

All Consuming said...

I thought I'd like that site but it made me uncomfortable. Perhaps I was imagining my own secrets coming out eh? Hehehe. I don't know, it's good for folks to have that as an outlet I reckon. If they need it.

bazza said...

Hi AC. Yes, I agree about the discomfort; I think I had 'switched it off' sub-consciously! However, there is some psychological value if you look deep enough in the site. It performs a service I think that is beyond morbid curiosity.