View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Thursday 24 March 2016

Painting of the Month (60): John Yardley

John Yardley is a British watercolour painter born in 1933. 
I really like his work for it's economy and expressions of sunlight on streets and buildings.
"The Terrace", John Yardley, watercolour on paper, 14 x 20 inches
For me this painting is all about "less is more". At first glance it appears to be a quick sketch but it is masterly in it's use of paint with economy - it's certainly not overpainted. It conveys a very pleasant evocation of sunlight and a little piece of a private domestic space. Yardley often uses the white of the paper to convey sunlight, but not here. The dark shadows also help to point to brightness.
Who wouldn't like to come home to this scene? It's on sale at £1,900 and, believe me, I would if I could!
I'm listening to Small Town Talk by Bobby Charles. You can listen here.

12 comments:

loverofwords said...

Oh if I could paint like that! It's the feeling of the loose brush which seems so casual but so hard to achieve. Your blog is like a mini art museum.

bazza said...

Haha! I hope you don't mean stuffy and boring :-)
It is a rather lovely painting isn't Natasha?

David said...

Hi bazza,
Generally I'm not that taken with watercolour paintings, but this one, as you say, with its economical use of paint, I find rather fetching. If I had £1900 spare, I might too, bazza!
Hope you're well and all's well.
All the best,
David.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - great to see a post again. Love the art works you give us and the snippets of an artist's life. I agree Yardley is amazing - love this courtyard scene ... and I had a look at a few of his other paintings - all delightful.

I too would buy it if I had that pre-requisite of some dosh readily available! Cheers and have a peaceful and happy Easter - Hilary

bazza said...

David: Thanks for your good wishes. I am very well thanks and hope that you are too!
I could definitely find house room for any of Yardley's pictures.

bazza said...

Hilary: Yes, I wanted to squeeze in a Painting of the Month for March! I seem to be so short of time since I retired. I envy your high output of high-quality posts which I always read, even if I don't comment. I feel that unless I have something useful to add, there's no point although I can always say 'hello', I suppose.....

John said...

Hi Bazza!
Is that all!? I think I will have three! Although, having said that, it's not really my cup of tea, I can see the skill in the painting, just not keen on the subject matter.
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

bazza said...

Hi John. One can't win 'em all! It would be a sad world if we all liked the same thing. Sometimes one can react emotionally to a work of art, noticing how it makes us feel. That works for me with this painting. Although I am highly interested in the skills employed, it makes me feel good to look at!

Sherry Ellis said...

It's a very nice painting, but a bit out of my price range, too!

bazza said...

Hi Sherry. That about $2,700! But one would have to think of it as an investment, maybe a long-term one.

klahanie said...

Hey Bazza, old chap,

Yes, my esteemed, intellectual friend, tis' I. I would quite like that painting to be in my house, along with the haul I stole from the National Art Gallery.

Toodle pip, old chap.

Gazza!

bazza said...

Hi Gary.I'm sure it would look good next to all of those Picassos and Van Goghs!