View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Friday 17 July 2015

Painting of the Month (55) July 2015: Natalie Graham

Natalie Graham is a British watercolour painter and printmaker. I am a bit of a sucker for this loose style of watercolour painting, especially with an imaginative use of colour. Because of the difficulty in controlling the wet paint, the artist needs to utilise great skill in manipulating the image. While the colour seems to be unrealistic, when one spends a little time looking into the picture it seems to become more real; the lion looks vulnerable and like a pussy cat!
I know very little about this low-profile artist but I like her work. More of her work can be seen here.
Listening to:  ‘The Boy With The Arab Strap’ by Belle & Sebastian, an old favourite. Listen on You Tube.

13 comments:

joanne fox said...

I love how the eyes are the real focal point of the painting. We can't know what the lion is thinking, because we only have human experience to draw on, but to me its expression is alert and questioning. "Where's my next meal," might be the question, of course. Happy blogging!

bazza said...

Hi Joanne. I think if the lion had been licking her lips(I have decided that she is female)she would be a lot more scary! Nice to have you back!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I always wished that I could pain in watercolor.

I really like this picture, Bazza.

bazza said...

Hi Arleen. It is a deceptively difficult medium but I have found that anyone can have a go and get some good results. I had lessons for five years but there is still a lot to learn!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have tried, Bazza, with disastrous results; therefore , I appreciate those who can..

bazza said...

Well maybe your artistic ability lies in another direction; maybe clay-modelling or Scottish country dancing?

All Consuming said...

It's beautiful. I love the wildness of it, suits the theme well!

bazza said...

I think there's something rather sad about the lion's expression.

All Consuming said...

It is actually. Poor thing.

klahanie said...

Greetings Bazza,

Ah yes, finally, I have arrived with one of my highly collectable comments! I'm a sucker for such a loose style of water painting. Seriously, I'm not lion....

Toodle pip,

Gary

bazza said...

In the mane I like your comment Gary!

Sherry Ellis said...

This is an appropriate painting for the month, given what happened to Cecil.

bazza said...

Do you know Sherry that I had just had that thought earlier to day! Poor old Cecil; so sad.