View my previous blog here: http://bazzablog-uk.blogspot.com

I reply to all comments except spam, no matter how old!

Please ignore any email address displayed here! My email is shamp123 AT sky.com


Tuesday 23 September 2014

Painting of the Month (49) September 2014: Vlaminck


Restaurant de la Machine à Bougival, 1905

"You talkin'' to me? You must be talkin' 
to me 'cos there ain't no-one else here!"
Mauruce de Vlaminck, 1876-1958, was a member of The Fauves, (literally 'Wild Beasts') a group of painters working in the early twentieth century led by Henri Matisse. The other leading member of the group, beside those two was André Derain. The main characteristic of Fauvism was 'colourism': a way of expressing mood through the use of strong and strident colour rather than painted detail. In the picture above there is no real attempt to depict reality. The loose style of composition can be seen as a development of post-impressionism - mainly via the work of Van Gogh and Gauguin. Fauvism was soon overtaken as a movement by Cubism and Vlaminck 'blamed' Picasso for it's demise. He looked like a heavyweight boxer and not the kind of chap that you might want to upset!
He travelled all over France to paint and also spent some time painting by the Thames in London.
The works of the Fauvists are usually very colourful, of course, and rather cheery with a high 'feel good' factor. Another striking example of his colourful work is shown below.
A Day in the Country, 1905
Continuing my new experiment of naming the music I am listening to while posting or commenting - right now it’s: ‘All Apologies’ by Nirvana. Listen on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LFVQpDKHk4

12 comments:

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Ironically the first painting seems to contain elements of cubism. He might actually have inspired the movement. Wonder what would have happened if he'd jumped on that band wagon?
The second painting I've always jokingly referred to as, "The Banana Plantation".
I love primary colour but I blend myself silly! Oh and Nirvana is not my cup of tea, but I can certainly understand the mindless drama of it's background noise. Be ye inspired Bazza!

bazza said...

Well yes, looking back it's possible to 'read in' the way previous stuff preceded and influenced Cubism; particularly the work of Cezanne I would say where the picture surface is beginning to break up into shapes and patterns.
I'm not struck on Nirvana myself but there is lovely cover of this song by Kathryn Williams here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdc70yqKcg
It's always good to hear from you Dixie!

loverofwords said...

Happy, happy, happy colors (or colours), Bazza! I have tried to copy the Fauvists and found it a challenge. How can you look at your blog and not have a down mood, lifted? Art is amazing with its impact on the viewer.

bazza said...

It's very deceptive when you try to copy a picture that seems to be fairly simple and easy to replicate. It's a trap that I have also fallen into!
I find that art, music and certain writing all have that power to elevate to spirit.
Listening to: Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris singing Leonard Cohen's Sisters of Mercy. Hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNlfvO_1V5w
CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

All Consuming said...

I like the colours and they both have a great deal of movement in them, especially the bottom painting. A bright treat for the mince pies :D

bazza said...

AC: I see you picked up on the Cockney Rhyming Slang theme!
Who could not be moved by bright colours and their combinations?
Listening Joy by Iron & Wine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgdmmpFeu8

Sherry Ellis said...

I didn't realize that style was called Fauvism. Thanks for educating me!

bazza said...

Hi Sherry. Bazza is here to help!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - I rather like Vlaminck's art .. especially the top one .. and yes you can see it appears 'simple' .. and see where Matisse might have got his ideas from ..

Fascinating to learn .. now I'm back I'll reply re Narducci ..

Cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Hello Hilary. I think Matisse would have been alarmed to think that anyone saw his style as being influenced by anyone! Although, of course, it was....

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bazza - my last comment on Narducci will interest you ... re a William Boyd book on a hoaxed non-existent artist ...

The links and the link to his studio is there .. which I'd missed as it's in small writing along the very top ...

The book story is fascinating ... cheers Hilary

bazza said...

Hilary: I'm off to see that right now!